Washington State Convention Centre
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
Architect: LMN Architects
At 1.5-million square foot, the Washington State Convention Center (WSCC) expansion project - the Summit, is the biggest public works construction in the history of Seattle. Located in the heart of downtown, the WSCC addition will transform several under-utilised blocks into a thriving mixed-use district and improve connections between Capitol Hill and the waterfront. Designed by LMN Architects, the building’s façade will be comprised of glass curtain wall with iconic elements to both showcase the structure’s architectural design and complement the fabric of the downtown area.
The building engages the urban form while each façade presents a highly interactive, transparent edge, blurring the boundaries of the site with the city context and the building program. Each program component embraces natural light and the major program spaces are connected vertically through the use of two large atriums. A glass-enclosed stair along Pine Street positions the interior circulation patterns at the edge of the building, creating dramatic west-facing views to the Pike Place Market and Puget Sound, and broadcasting the energy of convention visitors. A broad street plaza at the corner of Pine and 9th Avenue collects the activity of local residents and visitors alike. Open air terraces on all levels, designed to accommodate a variety of events, look out to iconic views at the center of the Seattle experience.
The project’s contributions to the public realm are as massive as its scale, navigating a diverse mix of public-private intersections while catering to the next generation of convention delegates with expectations of a rich, unique, urban experience.
- 10mm 62/34 low iron, HS x 16mm black TGI spacer M w/ Argon x 6mm low iron, HS
- 10mm 62/34 Low Iron, Tempered HST x 16mm Black TGI Spacer M w/ Argon x 6mm Low Iron, HS.
- 10mm 62/34 Extra Clear, HS x 16mm Black TGI Spacer M w/ Argon x 6mm Extra Clear, HS.
- 10mm 62/34 Low Iron, HS x 12mm Black TGI Spacer M w/ Argon x 10mm Low Iron, HS.
- 10mm Low iron, HS, Non-Reflective Coating #1 & #2 x 12mm Black TGI Spacer M w/ Argon x 10mm Low Iron, HS, Non-Reflective Coating #3 & #4.
- 10mm 62/34 Extra Clear, HS x 16mm Black TGI Spacer M w/ Argon x 6mm Extra Clear, HS with Standard Color Ceramic Frit.
- 10mm 62/34 Extra Clear, HS x 16mm black TGI Spacer M w/ Argon x 6mm Extra Clear, Tempered HST with Standard Color Ceramic Frit.
After nearly a decade of design and planning the $960 million Washington State Convention Center expansion project known as Summit is being delivered by Clark Construction Group in a joint venture with Seattle-based contractor Lease Crutcher Lewis. Developer Pine Street Group estimates that the new expansion will generate as many as 2,300 new jobs and bring the city an additional $200m in visitor spending. The facility incorporates 1,250,000 square feet of convention space and 250,000 square feet of parking and retail in an innovative program including stacked exhibit halls – located both above and below grade – two stacked meeting room levels and an industry leading 60,000 square foot ballroom.